The 2017 National Provincial 7s tournament will be played this weekend at Rotorua’s International Stadium.
In-coming coach Clark Laidlaw will not be in place until June but he will be watching from the sidelines where he will see the bulk of the current All Black 7s players in their provincial colours – something that hasn’t happened in years.
It’s a bit of a risk with the Wellington 7s just 2 weeks away but it will make for a great spectacle.
New Zealand Rugby may need to look at the timing of the Nationals. The All Black 7s are the only professional players who the rugby public do not get to see playing domestically (outside of the World Series).
Thankfully the women’s competition has always featured the country’s best players going up against each other and now we get to see the men as well.
This should make the 2017 National Provincial 7s the most competitive it has ever been.
Where they line up
- Scott Curry and Regan Ware will play for hosts Bay of Plenty
- Sherwin Stowers and Sione Molia line up for defending champions Counties Manukau
- Dylan Collier is in the Southland team
- Isaac Te Tamaki is back with Waikato
- Iopu Iopu-Aso and Beaudein Waaka line up for Taranaki
- Rocky Khan will be the pivot for Auckland
Veterans DJ Forbes and Tim Mikkleson have not been named by their respective provinces Counties Manukau and Waikato.